For the third time this season, Yu Darvish, last night, struck out 14 batters in a game.
For the third time this season, Yu Darvish, last night, allowed four runs in a game.
Darvish picked up a no-decision in the Rangers 5-4 loss to Arizona, keeping his record at 7-2 and dropping the Rangers record in Darvish starts to 8-3.
Darvish 2013 starts
Darvish is a joy to watch as he has held batters to a .186 BAA this season
As you can see from the heat map above, this season, Darvish has held batters to a .147 when he has kept the ball the ball low in the strike zone.
Last night, however that didn't work as well as the D-backs went 4-17 lower in the zone with the key blow being a Didi Gregorius homer on a low cutter with one on in the 8th that tied the game at 4-4.
Darvish has allowed nine homers this season
Darvish has been incredibly effective late in his games
Darvish from the 6th inning on
From the 6th inning on he's held batters to a .108 average (7-for-65), one triple, two homers, and 24 whiffs and just five walks.
The Darvish Whiffs
Darvish has recorded 105 strikeouts this season and you can see they have occurred everywhere in and around the strike zone.
- 32 have come on his fastball
- 3 on his curve
- 70 on his slider/cutter
- 87 have been swings and misses
- 20 have been on 0-2 pitches
- 32 have been on 1-2 pitches
- 35 have been on 2-2 pitches
- 18 have been on 3-2 pitches
- 18 have been called strike threes
- 50 have been on pitches chased by batters out of the zone
- The numbers that I find most amazing - 52 strikeouts have been by lefties and 53 by righties